Thursday, October 2, 2008

Favorite Books

It is "Banned Book Week." I've written on this topic before so won't go into my opinion details again. However, I will celebrate reading by listing my favorite books. I have read a plethora of books in my adulthood and find reading my great escape. No money spent in a bookstore is wasted. Of all the books I have read, the following always stay with me:

Gone With the Wind (read it 5 times)
Atlas Shrugged (read it 3 times)
Brave New World
Ethan Frome
Winds of War/War and Rememberance
Beloved
Of Mice and Men
To Kill a Mockingbird
In Cold Blood
Sons and Lovers
The Crucible (technically a play)
The Pearl
The Promise/The Chosen
Something Wicked This Way Comes

Others may come to mind after I publish this but these are ones that impacted me in some way.

Anyway, here's to reading --- banned or otherwise. Viva the first amendment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Holly - thanks for the listing. I haven't read GWTW but really want to. Have you read Rhett Butler's People? Another I want to read. Too many books; too little time. Great list of favorite books!
v-

Cheryle said...

Holly, you and I really are sisters across the miles! Your list of favorites is very similar to mine, and reading is what I do most1 One of the great advantages of being retired is that I have a lot more time to do it. With my limited income, I spend a lot more time at the library than the bookstore, but some books just have to be added to the permanent bookshelf, so I spring for them. You may want to check out www.goodreads.com as a good way to keep track of what your friends are reading. (I've signed up, but I'm not real good about keeping up - too busy reading!)

cjc