Saturday, January 2, 2010

Endless Summer




"In the midst of winter, I found, within me, an endless summer." Albert Camus.

I have recently decided that seasons are as much a time of year as they are a frame of mind. I prefer summer and fall to winter (spring is the season that allows me to breathe a sigh of relief and know that hope is eternal) because both offer the sun's glow, warmth, fragrances, easy access to the outdoors.

While winter in Wisconsin can mean a continual struggle against cold, snow, winds, and ice, it is a person's outlook that can make or break a spirit. In years past I have struggled with the shorter days, the gloom of continually cloudy days, the ever present cold. But, I have now decided this winter is mine to embrace for whatever positives I may find in it.

The sun was shining today; snow sparkled, the sky was blue, and it is the beginning of a new year. Snow brings a newly cleansed landscape and a snowstorm brings the hope of a snow day. Gray clouds make a cup of hot coffee or tea taste even better. Winter is reading books, curling up under soft throws, lighting candles, and looking at photos. Snow and cold make an adventure out of going outside -- one can make that positive or negative but an adventure is still an adventure!

Winter should be a time of reflection and appreciation. I live in a warm home with running water and indoor plumbing; pioneers lived with neither. Medicines ward off winter illnesses so our children may survive into adulthood. Even in severe storms emergency services are available. If my furnace dies or electricity goes off I still will be more comfortable and have more options than those pioneers or those in third world countries today.

Winter is......accept the Zen-ness of it all, look for the brightness, and appreciate what we have....don't yearn for what isn't.

(I am playing with a new toy.....well, new to me. The sun in this post is a drawing I made in power point. Making it was easier than posting it on the blog....still not sure how I finally accomplished that but I'm hoping to play around with it all some more. Another plus of winter is I'm easily amused!)

7 comments:

Cheryle said...

Love the positive outlook of this post - and your newly acquired talent! I'm sorry that your rosy New Year was interrupted by a sinus infection, but always happy to read and be inspired by your words!

magpie said...

It doesn't snow in winter where I'm from... You make it sound very nice.

Aaron Thomae said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog, please read mine and let me know what you think!

bestvacationdestinations.blogspot.com/

Keep up the good work!

Glenn Mark Cassel said...

I stumbled across your blog the other day. The title is what jumped out at me.
On the 21st of September 2008, I underwent surgery to have a cancerous kidney removed.
It is an experience that does affect a person's outlook. Even on the regularities of daily life.
I have a couple of blogs out there. The first one is at http://oldretiredpettyofficer.blogspot.com/ and http://retiredpo1.wordpress.com/.
The first one can get a bit rough.
And the phrase I picked up from an old warrior was "upright and breathing"
Love your perspective.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
文章 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.