Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodbye Zero Zero

Another decade come and gone. A decade of many changes.

Daughter graduates from high school, goes to college, graduates from college, enters grad school.
Son graduates from high school, enters college.
Divorce, loneliness, new relationship, happiness.
Move to Appleton, relief, comfort, zen-like knowing this is where I'm to be.

It isn't always major events, such as the above, that shape a life, but they are the most outwardly notable.

Over this past decade my belief that out of bad comes good has become even more firmly cemented. So has the knowledge that trusting my instincts is the best guidance for decision making.

I've learned that allowing myself to underachieve while still achieving works well --- type A personalities should give it a try. I am less stressed, no longer care about controlling a situation, don't want to be in charge. It has given me a brighter outlook on life and ability to enjoy most environments simply because I'm not in charge nor do I want to be.

I can accept aging. No, I'm not all that thrilled with jowly look on my face, the age spots that have finally appeared (but I don't regret any time spent in the sun!), or lessened metabolism. But, as this blog title states, every day above ground is a good day. There is a relief in accepting my body, it's working and non-working parts; accepting my essence rather than continually futzing, worrying, working on fighting, trying to improve, bemoaning what is me.

I will embrace this next decade. What better time to enjoy the here and now -- the moment, the experience, the simple sights, sounds, tastes. The beauty of aging and realizing that the decades ahead are limited is not worrying about the future but taking today for what it is.

My dears, Happy New Year, Happy New Decade, Happy Life!

2 comments:

Cheryle said...

I'm so glad to see you back here! I hope your world allows for more posts in the new year!

So much of what you say resonates with me (that old "separated at birth" thing, I guess!), and I personally think that getting older is what finally brings us to more of an appreciation for all things in life, and a willingness and ability to let go and just enjoy.

Happy New Year to you, my friend. How much poorer my life would be had we not connected!

Vicky said...

What wonderful sentiments, Holly. And I look forward to the next decade with you - sharing as well as hearing about your life experiences.