Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mad Bomber Hat


In honor of the -1 degree temperature (-20 degrees wind chill) Packer v. Giants NFC championship game kickoff, I am posting pictures of Dan and me in mad bomber hats. Dan is sitting at Lambeau Field enjoying the game in the frosty weather, possibly even wearing the pictured hat. I am toasty warm in my home watching it all. If I was at the game I would look like a thermal burka clad sausage....layers, layers, layers, layers, and a sleeping bag.

Everyone knows that to keep warmer, covering one's head is the first body part to cover. Okay, the players wear helmets. Media of all kinds have broadcast that appropriate dress in this desperate cold is to layer clothing. The majority of players I am watching have bare arms. (Bret is wisely wearing his Under Armor) The sports announcers made a special point of telling viewers that the Packer line will not cover their arms for this game. Uh......can someone explain to me why? I understand that they are running around. I comprehend the adreneline rush these guys must get. But I also get the notion of frostbite, pain in falling on frozen ground, and numbness that occurs when skin is exposed to such temperatures. I do hope the reason for the bare arms is not.....please tell me it isn't true.....machismo.

Guys who get pounded by 200+ pound men, who are continually tackled and lay at the bottom of a pile of six of those 200+ men, guys who display those impressive muscles week after week don't need to provide any more evidence of their masculinity. I get it without them showing how tough they are in the face of the "frozen tundra."

I imagine the mothers of each of those bare armed players are wringing their hands in worry over their "babies's" decisions to tough the cold without the benefit of Under Armor. I know I would be. This is the coldest game in NFL history, and players aren't listening to their mothers.

As a side note, it is good to see that both the AFC and NFC championship games were played outside instead of in whimpy, pansy-ass domes. The dome players are definitely not as manly as outdoor stadium players. Football began as an outdoor game and it should be played in the elements. From a quick count it appears that 24 teams play outdoors with only 7 indoor teams. A California journalist whined about the ridiculousness of playing such important games in these icy temperatures........figures it was a writer from California. While I am not a fan of winter, cold, and snow I do feel a sense of pride in the citizens of our state who go about their daily lives in such weather. The Packers reflect the hardiness of the state. Players have the option of dressing warmer and fans have the option of not attending the game or dressing to suit the conditions.

While the machismo could take time off for this game, I salute the hearty players of both teams and give cheers to mad bomber hats, Under Armor, Carthart, handwarmers, long underwear, layers-layers-layers, outdoor football stadiums.

Green Bay Packers fan Jeff Kahlow walks outside Lambeau Field prior to the NFC Championship football game between the Packers and the New York Giants, Sunday, Jan. 20, 2008, in Green Bay, Wis. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip



1 comment:

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I was so cold just watching them play the game.