Friday, September 21, 2007

Signs


Dropped Watson off for grooming and had three hours to kill before he was done so went to the day spa in the Fox River Mall for a manicure and pedicure. Sigh….the pedicure is so relaxing and the manicurists at this place don’t talk much to clients which I like. I don’t want to have to make small talk; I just want to relax.

However, my conscience kicked in while my feet were being scrubbed. I blame this on my reading a book about women who survive wars; I then signed up to sponsor a woman on
www.womentowomen.org. So, as I am relaxing and having my dry, cracked feet scrubbed my conscience questions my choosing to spend money on this frivolity rather than donating it to a good cause. Uh, oh…..nothing like being reminded that I have shown little purpose in life of late and that I waste time on indulgences instead of doing good deeds.

I do believe in “signs” and am wondering if I haven’t been getting some hints that it is time to do for others. There have been three “signs” in the last two weeks:
1) I was having the Subaru serviced and began talking to a woman who tutored a young Mexican mother in English. This woman was trained by the literary council and tutors the young woman once or twice per week.
2) I picked up Watson from boarding yesterday and took home a Waupaca County Humane Society newsletter. They need people to walk dogs.
3) While in Iowa this week I went into a store selling only products from third world countries and picked up a book on women who survive wartime situations (the Sudan, Rwanda, Bosnia, etc) and went to a website which asks for sponsors for these women.
4) Okay, I said there were three signs but while typing the above I remembered a fourth volunteer opportunity that has been lurking in the back of my mind. There is a program that has people mentoring young women who have become involved in the juvenile judicial process.

Now, I am fully capable of volunteering for all of the above. I need to do something with my time and my life. I have had four opportunities virtually fall into my lap. Could I live without pedicures……yes. Do I want to live without pedicures…..no. Could I donate money and my time and still have pedicures…..probably. Hmmmm, is this compromise or just getting my way on both issues……

No comments: