Saturday, March 15, 2008

Other Complaintants

My vow not to complain is not going well. It is important to note that it is easier not to complain when I am by myself. Get around other people and the no complaining attempt is out the door. It also doesn't help that I live in Wisconsin; the official state past time is complaining about the weather. This is an addictive past time and residents unthinkingly partake in it. I have tried not to complain about the weather and find a weather related gripe just pops out of my mouth.

I need to further distinguish between criticism and complaining. If I comment that the leather fringed vest, bolo tie, and cowboy hat are a tad ugly, is that a criticism or a complaint. I think it is a criticism.....a complaint would be to say, "That guy in the ugly cowboy get up needs to walk faster to I can get away from him as quickly as possible." In that statement I am complaining about him not walking fast enough while also criticizing his fashion statement. I suppose I could stop complaining AND criticizing but geez, that seems to set a pretty high standard.

I am going to continue on my attempt to not complain although I can tell I am not approaching it in fully motivated fashion. I am feeling overwhelmed but will give it a try. Stay tuned.

No comments: